USSF Seeking Compromise
The USSF convened a meeting today between representatives of the NASL and USL to try and forge a compromise in the battle for second division sanctioning.
As we reported yesterday, the subject of St Louis and the USL-1 license Tony Glavin owns for the region is not on the table, though USL officials are not pleased by this.
What was discussed today was a USSF proposed compromise to play under the Federation banner in 2010. It is possible that a final compromise could be released as early as Thursday before the NASL’s first AGM begin in Fort Lauderdale. It is believed any compromise will be made with an implication that NASL will be formally sanctioned for the 2011 season.
The NASL, I am told is open to compromise within reason. USL, while also seeking compromise appears less willing to bend.
Stay tuned to TKR and our partner site, Inside Minnesota Soccer for the latest developments.
UPDATE 10: 45 AM WEDNESDAY
Compromise is never easy and never entirely satisfies all parties involved, but it appears a deal is close to being concluded involving two conferences, one which will be comprised of USL contracted teams and others of teams that have committed to the NASL for the future and are not contracted in any way to USL for 2010 or beyond. Credit to the USSF, despite their lack of leadership earlier in the process for pushing the envelope now. A deal could be reached later today. Stay tuned for details.
UPDATE 9:30 AM THURSDAY
A conference call has been set for 3pm ET on Thursday to announce the compromise by the Federation. I am also told by sources that certain rules, such as more stringent foreign player limits and encouragement of intake of more youth players will be implemented by the USSF this year for both USL-1 and NASL teams.
Personally, I wish MLS would do both as well- limit the intake of foreign players to those who only play for their national team or have significant prior national team experience (require a work permit rule like the UK home office does, but make it less difficult to qualify. I have long advocated this rule change for MLS, but instead MLS has gone in the opposite direction adding more and more marginal foreign players and forcing Americans down to the second division level) and require a certain number of youth players per squad be registered. Give the USSF credit for pushing rules that at least for one year, will help the development of the American player.